You are now leaving the City of College Station websiteloading

Frequently Asked Questions

Last item for navigation


    What does the City Attorney's Office do?
    The City Attorney's Office provides legal services to City of College Station employees and council members, and prosecutes all Class C misdemeanors committed in College Station through the College Station Municipal Court. 
    Can a citizen get legal advice from the City Attorney's Office?
    No, the City Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice to private citizens. If you are in need of legal services, you may find a local attorney through the State Bar of Texas.
    Is the City Attorney elected?
    No. The City Attorney is appointed and reports to the City Council.

    Click here to learn more.
    Where can I view city ordinances?
    Click here to view the Code of Ordinances for the City of College Station. 
    What's the difference between District, County & City Attorneys?

    City Charter, Section 29: “The City Council shall appoint an officer of the City who shall be the City Attorney, who may be removed from office by the Council. The City Attorney shall be a competent and duly licensed attorney, who shall reside in the City of College Station.

    The City Attorney shall represent the city in all litigation. The City Attorney shall be the legal advisor of and attorney and counsel for the city and all officers and departments thereof.

    The City Attorney shall have the power to appoint an assistant or assistants, if the City Attorney deems necessary, subject to the approval of an at such compensation as may be fixed by the City Council; and such assistant or assistants may be removed from office by the City Attorney.”


    The Brazos County District Attorney’s Office represents the State of Texas in criminal cases in the District Courts of Brazos County. The office prosecutes felony crimes in the trial court and on appeal, juvenile offenses for offenders between the age of 10 and 17, and misdemeanor offenses when such offenses are committed by a defendant with felony charges. The office also provides victim services to the people that suffer from crime and represents Child Protective Services in cases of abuse and neglect.


    The Brazos County Attorney’s Office provides legal service to the citizens of Brazos County though the different divisions of the office. The Criminal Division works with the various law enforcement agencies in the county to prosecute misdemeanor criminal cases in the County Courts-at-Law, Magistrate’s Court, and Justice of the Peace Courts in Brazos County. The Civil Division provides legal representation to the commissioner’s court, department heads, and county employees in the discharge of their official duties. The Family Violence Unit provides assistance to victims of domestic violence by seeking Protective Orders through the courts at no cost to the victims, and the Hot Check division assists merchants and other persons victimized by individuals who write and pass bad checks for the purpose of obtaining goods or services.


    How can I request a police report?
    If you are a defendant in a municipal court case, you can request the police report directly from the prosecutor through a written Request for Discovery.

    If you are a not a defendant in a case, you will need to make an open records request to the City Secretary’s Office. Please be aware, that the Open Records Act provides that a city may withhold police reports for active cases. If there is an active prosecution pending, the police report will not be released.
    How can I get copies of all evidence in the case against me?
    You must make a written request for discovery to the prosecutor identifying the specific items you are requesting. If you are requesting audio, video, or pictures, you will also need to provide a CD, DVD, or new flash drive in original packaging.
    How do I pay for my citation?
    Through College Station Municipal Court.

    Click here to learn more. 
    How do I contest a parking citation?
    Click here to view your options through the College Station Municipal Court. 
    How can I speak with the prosecutor?
    Once a defendant has plead not guilty, he or she will be scheduled for a pretrial conference to meet with the prosecutor to discuss the case. These meetings are held on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

    The prosecutor does not meet with defendants prior to the defendant entering his or her plea.
    How do I contact College Station Municipal Court?
    P.O. Box 9960
    300 Krenek Tap Road
    College Station, TX 77842

    Monday: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
    Tuesday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

    I have a subpoena to testify in Municipal Court. What do I do?
    If you have received a subpoena to testify in a case, it is important that you appear at court on the day specified in the subpoena. If you fail to appear, you could be subject to contempt of court charges. If you have any questions about why you have been subpoenaed to testify, please call the number included on your subpoena and ask to speak with the prosecutor. Your participation as a witness is vital to prosecute a case. If you fail to show up, the prosecutor may not be able to proceed with the case.

    Also, please remember to call the witness line included on your subpoena the day before your scheduled appearance date to verify that you need to appear the next day. Many times a case will settle before trial or will be rescheduled. Unfortunately, due to the high case load volume, the prosecutor cannot call every witness to let them know their case has been resolved or reset to a new day.
    How do I report a code violation?
    There are three ways to report code violations:

    1) Call 979.764.6363

    2) Email [email protected]

    3) Visit SeeClickFix

    Learn more at
    How can I report a criminal act in which I was the victim??
    If it is an emergency situation, please call 911.

    If there is not an emergency, please contact the police department either in person or through the non-emergency line at 979.764.3660 to report the incident. The College Station Police Department will investigate to determine if a criminal violation has occurred. You may be asked to complete a Citizen’s Request for Prosecution. All Citizen’s Requests for Prosecution are reviewed by the prosecutor to determine if sufficient facts exist to accept your case, and you will be notified as to whether the case is accepted for prosecution. Please note, that a case can only be accepted for prosecution if the prosecutor believes the case can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. A rejection of a Citizen’s Request for Prosecution does not necessarily mean that no violation occurred.


    How do I request public information?
    Request for public records or information must be made in writing. 

    Click here to view more information and for a form. 
    What kinds of information can I request?
    Your request should be for documents or other information that is already in existence. The city is not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or comply with a continuing request to supply information on a periodic basis as such information is prepared in the future.
    Can I request court records through the Texas Public Information Act?
    No. Records of a court (judiciary) do not fall under the Public Information Act. Such requests shall be made directly to the College Station Municipal Court at: 

    P.O. Box 9960
    300 Krenek Tap Road
    College Station, Texas 77842

    Phone: 979.764.3683
    How long will it take to get requested records?
    The Public Information Act provides that a governmental body must respond “promptly” to a request for information. If a governmental body is unable to produce the requested information within ten business days, the governmental body will send you correspondence certifying that it is unable to do so and if more time is needed to retrieve or assemble the records, a date will be set for when those records will be available. For some requests, it is possible that the governmental body may not have responsive records.
    Is all information public?
    No, if the information requested falls within one of the exceptions to disclosure found in the Texas Public Information Act, the governing body may refuse to release the information while it seeks an Open Records Decision from the Texas Attorney General. If a governmental body makes such a request to the Attorney General, the Attorney General typically responds within approximately forty-five business days. The Attorney General will send a copy of the decision to you.
City of College Station | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Intrado Corporation.